Josh S. Davy
1754 Walnut Street
Red Bluff, CA 96080
Josh Davy conducts the Livestock and Natural Resources Program for Glenn, Colusa and Tehama Counties. The program provides research and educational support in the areas of livestock, range, irrigated pasture and natural resource management. Current and future projects work to keep production agriculture and natural resources healthy and sustainable.
July 2017 became the County Director for UCCE Tehama County
SpecialtyLivestock, Range and Irrigated Pasture
Areas of Expertise (click to see all ANR academics with this expertise)
- Pasture - Irrigated
- Animals and Their Systems
- Animal Management Systems
- Natural Resources and Environment
- Management of Range Resources
Forero L.C., S. Davy., S. Barry., J. Bartolome., S. Larson. 2020. Field guide to common California Rangeland and pasture plants. UC ANR publication number 3550.
George M.R., S. Davy. 2020. Ecology and management of rangelands series: Part 9; Vegetation management. UC ANR publication number 8548.
George M.R., J. Harper., S. Davy., T. Becchetti., G. Maier. 2020. Ecology and management of rangelands series: Part 7; Livestock production. UC ANR publication number 8546.
Davy J., M. Rinella. 2019. Targeted Grazing for Native Forbs in Annual Grasslands. Range Ecology and Management. 72(3):501-504
Davy J., L. Quinn-Davidson, J. Stackhouse. Location and seeding affect the outcomes of controlled burning of California annual rangeland. 2019. Grasslands. 29:3.
Davy J., L. Quinn-Davidson, J. Stackhouse. 2019. Location and seeding affect the outcomes of controlled burning of California annual rangeland. Grasslands. 29:3.
Davy J., L. Forero, M. Shapiro, D. Rao, T. Becchetti, C. Koopman Rivers, J. Stackhouse, K. DeAtley, B. McNabb. 2019. Mineral status of California beef cattle. Translational Animal Science. 3(1):1-8.
Forero L.C., S Davy, B.E. McMurry, J.W. Oltjen. 2019. Monensin and mineral supplementation economically increase yearling cattle weight gain on California annual rangeland, Translational Animal Science. 3(2):1-5. txz041, https://doi.org/10.1093/tas/txz041
Davy J., M. Rinella. 2019. Targeted Grazing for Native Forbs in Annual Grasslands. Range Ecology and Management. 72(3): 501-504. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rama.2019.01.003
Dykier, C., D. Rao, G. Nader, R. Ingram, J. Davy, J. James, and A Peischel. 2018. Profiles of California Brush: Targeted grazing to reduce fire fuel loads in California chaparral series part 1. UC ANR Publication 8527.
Rao, D., J. Davy, and D. W. Bohnert. 2018. Mineral Supplementation of Beef Cows in the Western United States. Cattle Producer’s Handbook, fourth edition. Western Beef Resources Committee. Fourth edition, publication number 327.pp1-7.
Stackhouse, J., L. Quinn-Davidson, and J. Davy. 2018. Mechanical removal of Coyote Brush (Baccharis pilularis). Grasslands. Spring: 30:2.
James J.J., J.S. Davy, M.P. Doran, T.A. Becchetti, P. Brownsey, and E.A. Laca. 2017. Targeted grazing impacts on invasive and native plant abundance change with grazing duration and stocking density. Range Ecology and Management. 70(4):465-468.
Davy, J.S., T. Turri., K. Dykier, and E. Gornish. 2017. Proper forage seeding selections in Northern California Mediterranean rangelands can increase production and prevent weed invasion. California Agriculture. 71(4):239-248.
Davy J.S., K. Dykier. 2017. Longevity of a Controlled Burn’s Impacts on Species Composition and biomass in northern California annual rangeland during drought. Range Ecology and Management. 70(6):755-758.
Rao D., E. Gornish, R. Smith, J. Davy. 2017. Progress report: Tumbleweed on California’s Central Coast. Grasslands. 24(4):11-13.
Rinella M., J.S. Davy, G. Kyser, F. Mashiri, S. Bellows, J. James, V. Peterson. 2017. Timing Aminopyralid to Prevent Medusahead (Taeniatherum caput-medusae (L.) Nevski) Seed Production Controls the Invader and Increases Forage Grasses. Invasive Plant Science and Management 11(1):61-68.
Becchetti T.A., M.R. George, N. McDougald, D. Dudley, M. Conner, D. Flavell, C. Vaugn, L. Forero, W. Frost, S. Oneto, R. Larsen, K. Striby, S. Davy, M.P. Doran, and G. Markegard. 2016. Annual rangeland forage production. UC ANR publication 8018.
Davy J.S., L.C. Forero, T. Tucker, C. Mayo, D.J. Drake, J.W. Oltjen, J.M. Maas. 2016. Correcting Selenium deficiency in California beef cattle and evaluating the subsequent effects on weight gain. California Agriculture. 70(4):188-194.
Macon D.K., S. Barry, T Becchetti, S. Davy, M.P. Doran, J.A. Finzel, H. George, J.M. Harper, L. Huntsinger, R.S. Ingram, D.E. Lancaster, R.E. Larsen, D.J. Lewis, D.F. Lile, N.K. McDougald, F.E. Mashiri, G.A. Nader, S.R. Oneto, J.W. Stackhouse, and L.M. Roche. 2016. Coping with drought on California rangelands. Rangelands. 38(4)222-228.
Tucker T., A. Sharif, J. Maas, Davy and J.E. Foley. 2016. Investigation of Anaplasma marginale seroprevalence in a traditionally managed large California beef herd. Veterinary Medicine International 2016(1):1-7, Article ID 6186078
Brownsey P., J.J.James, S.J. Barry, T.A. Becchetti, J.S. Davy, M.P. Doran, L.C. Forero, J.M. Harper, R.E. Larsen, S.R. Larson-Praplan, J. Zhang, E.A. Laca. 2016. Using Phenology to Optimize Timing of Mowing and Grazing Treatments for Medusahead (Taeniatherum caput-medusae). Range Ecology and Management. 70(2):210-218.
Bohn K. N., S. P. Doyle, J. Davy, D. K. Flavell, N. Schweitzer, K. L. DeAtley. 2016. Utilization of wet brewers grain as a winter feed supplement for beef cows grazing native annual grasslands. Journal of Animal Science, 94(5):1-11.
Brownsey P., J.S. Davy, T.A. Becchetti, M. Easley, J. James, and E.A. Laca. 2016. Barb goatgrass and medusahead: Timing of mowing and grazing treatments. UC ANR publication 8567.
Kyser G.B., J.M. DiTomaso, S. Johnson, and J.S. Davy. 2015. Chapter 14 Forest, Rangeland, and Habitat Conservation Lands. In: S.A. Fennimore and C.A. Bell Principles of Weed Control 4th Salinas, CA. California Weed Science Society
James J.J.,S. Gornish, J.M. DiTomaso, J.S. Davy, M.P. Doran, T.A. Becchetti, R. Wilson, D Lile and E.A. Laca. 2015. Managing medusahead (Taeniatherum caput-medusae) on rangeland: A meta-analysis of control efforts and assessment of stakeholder needs. Range Ecology and Management. 37(3):135-137.
Davy S, B. M. Karle, G. B. Kyser, J. M. DiTomaso, and M. J. Rinella. 2015. Broadleaf weed control in irrigated pasture containing Trifolium repens. Crop and Pasture Science 66(1):985–991.
Davy J.S., L.C. Forero, J.W. Stackhouse, G.A. Nader. 2015. Drought strategies for feeding cattle grazing annual grassland. UC ANR publication 8563
Davy J.S., L. C. Forero, G.A Nador, J.W. Stackhouse. 2015. Drought strategies for culling cattle. UC ANR publication 8555.
Davy J.S., G.A Nador, J.W. Stackhouse. 2015. Supplemental feeds for cattle operations during drought. UC ANR publication 8565.
- Kyser, G.; DiTomaso, J. (2014). Medusahead management guide for western states. Davis, CA, University of California, Weed Research and Information Center. 68. wric.ucdavis.edu
- Davy, J.; Roche, L. (2014). "Plant Community Responses to Cattle Grazing in a Noxious Weed Dominated Rangeland." California Agriculture
- Davy, J.; Merril-Davies, M. (2012). Irrigated pasture grass and clover selection for areas without summer rain.
- Kyser, G.; Peterson, V. (2012). "Preemergent control of medusahead on California annual rangelands with aminopyralid." Rangeland Ecology & Management 65(4): 418-425.
- Merril, M.; Davy, J. (2012). Targeted grazing for weed control. Western Resources Beef Committee Cattle Producers Handbook. Publication #CL-544
- Davy, J.; Becchetti, T. (2011). Establishing and managing irrigated pasture for horses. University of California, Agriculture and Natural Resources. Publication 8486.
- Davy, J.; Forero, L.. (2011). Managing smutgrass in irrigated pastures. University of California, Agriculture and Natural Resources. Publication 8473.
- McCreary, D.; Tietje, W. (2011). "Tree shelters and weed control enhance growth and survival of natural blue oak seedlings." California Agriculture 65(4): 192-196.
- Davy, J.; DiTomaso, J. (2008). Barb Goatgrass. University of California, Agriculture and Natural Resources. Publication 8315.
- George, M.; Barry, S.http://esis.sc.egov.usda.gov/. (2008). "Coastal Clayey Ecological Site Description (R015XI020CA)." Ecological Site Information System from
- George, M.; Becchetti, T.http://esis.sc.egov.usda.gov/. (2008). "Gravelly Fine Loam Ecological Site Description (R015XI022CA)." Ecological Site Information System from
- Hoar, B.; Bell, T. (2008). "Herd-level management and biosecurity factors associated with measures of reproductive success in California beef cow-calf herds." The Bovine Practitioner 42(2): 1-7.
- Davy, J.; Oltjen, J. (2007). Factors affecting yield of vertically integrated and direct-marketed beef. University of California, Davis. Masters of Science.
- Oltjen, J.; Bradley, F. (2001). Raising animals. Small Farm Handbook.B. Faber and L. Tourte. Oakland, CA, University of California, Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources. Publication 3526: 145-161.
California Agriculture Article Contributions
ANR Workgroup Associations
- Beef Safety and Quality Assurance - Member
- Livestock Production Systems - Member
- Oak Woodland Conservation - Member
- Weed - Member