Past Meeting Presentations
Unable to attend a meeting or a field day? The information presented at various irrigation and water resource meetings is accessible below.
2019 Sustainable Groundwater Management Meeting
Presented on April 5, 2019 at Rolling Hills Event Center
On-Farm Water Management
ADVANCES IN ON-FARM WATER MANAGEMENT
Irrigated agriculture acreage in the northern Sacramento Valley has grown substantially over the past decade, with gains largely driven by new orchard plantings. Despite these substantial gains in irrigated agriculture (+73,000 or an 8% increase), actual water demand has remained relatively stable, increasingly only about 0.1 percent (Source: sacvalleyorchards.com/blog/almonds-blog/northern-california-cropping-and-irrigation-patterns-part-2/). Adoption of micro irrigation methods, as well as adoption of technologies and information to improve irrigation management are a big contributor towards higher efficiency. This video showcases many irrigation management technologies on-display at a walnut irrigation field day (June 2018). Enjoy!
2015 Water Dialogue Meeting 4/30/15
The following presentations were given at the 2015 Water Dialogue Meeting April 30th, at the Carlino Room in Corning.
01 INTRO AND ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
02 Manley - Managing Water in Challenging Times
03 Bettner - Tehama County Water Dialogue
04 Sutton - Water Year 2015 Drought Impacts-Tehama-Colusa Canal
05 Golet - Bird Returns overview for water dialogue
06 Ehorn - Spring Ground Water Update
07 McManus - Implementation of the Sustainable Groundwater Management Act
08 Loux Groundwater Specialization Info Session PPT
The new UC Davis Education Series geared towards implementation of the Sustainable Groundwater Management Act by Jeff Loux will be available soon...check back on May 12th.
2014 Irrigated Pasture Workshop-4-3-14 Los Molinos CA
2013 Orchard Irrigation Presentations
BASIC RRIGATION MANAGEMENT TOOLS - 23 SLIDES This presentation introduces three different types of tools and approaches to help decide when to irrigate orchard crops and how much water is needed.
IRRIGATION SCHEDULING IN ALMONDS AND WALNUTS - 22 SLIDES This presentation expands on the basic presentation above. It focuses on specific examples in almonds and walnuts. ET (Evapotranspiration) water budget, soil moisture monitoring, and pressure chamber measurements of midday stem water potential are applied to demonstrate how each irrigation scheduling method may help make irrigation management decisions.
IRRIGATION MANAGEMENT TOOLS FOR DEVELOPING ORCHARDS - 34 SLIDES This presentation focuses specifically on the pressure chamber to measure midday stem water potential and soil moisture monitoring to guide irrigation management decisions in young, developing orchards. ET estimates for young developing trees ranging from 1st through 4th leaf development are also provided. These ET estimates are site specific and influenced by management of orchard floor vegetation and the method of irrigation.
REVIEW OF RESEARCH: WATER MANAGEMENT IN DECIDUOUS ORCHARD CROPS - 82 SLIDES This presentation provides a more comprehensive review of irrigation research that has been conducted in almonds, prunes and walnuts over the past two or three decades. It also provides suggestions for further reading.
2012 Irrigation Mangement Workshop 12-5-12
- Central Valley Irrigated Lands Regulatory Program by Gabriele Ludwig
- Efficient Irrigation WAter Management by Larry Schwankl
- Irrigation system performance by Kevin Greer
- Managing Nutrient Efficency by Pat Brown
- Soil Information Resources to Enhance Productivity by Toby O'Geen
- Soil and Water Amendments by Allan Fulton
2011 Local Management of Water Resources Mtg
- Update on Groundwater Conditions in the Northern Sacramento Valley- Kelly Staton
- Incorporating Science-based Knowledge into Local Groundwater Management.
- Experiences & Lessons Learned as Local Groundwater Management is Implemented-Paul Gosselin
- Update on Stony Creek Fan Aquifer Performance Testing- Grant Davids & Ken Loy
- Update on Tuscan Aquifer Investigation- Tim Godwin , Brown & Caldwell
- Needs & Opportunities for Groundwater Recharge-John Ayres
- Progress by the Northern Sacramento Valley Integrated Regional Water Managment Planning Group- Vickie Newlin
- Managing Californias Water "Myths & Realities" - Jay Lund
2010 Walnut Irrigation & Nutrient Management Short Course
- Photosynthesis, Translocation, Storage and Utilization in Walnuts - Dr. Ted DeJong UC Davis
- Tehama County Mobile Irrigation Lab - Kevin Greer, Tehama Resouce Conservation District
- Rick Buchner --The Importance of Irrigation Management in Walnut Production
- Managing your Irrigation System: What do you need to know? - Dr. Larry Schwankl, UC Kearney Ag Center
- The Role of Water in Walnut Tree Growth and Development - Dr. Ken Shackel
- GUIDELINES FOR INTERPRETING PRESSURE CHAMBER READINGS (MIDDAY STEM WATER POTENTIAL-SWP) "Chart"- Dr. Ken Shackel's Handout
Program and Speaker Background
Ernie Ohlin - Efforts to Manage Water Resources in the N. Sac. Valley
Rick Massa - The Future of Water Resource Management in N. Sac. Valley
John Ayers - Groundwater Trigger Levels and Awareness for Tehama County
Teresa Geimer - Status of the 2009 Drought Water Bank
Dan Dooley - Water Basics
Dan McManus - Current Groundwater Conditions
Leo Winternitz - The Delta Vision
Thomas Harter - Groundwater Aquifer Test & Modeling
Water Management in Orchard Crops, Concepts and Practices, Dec 6, 2007
Orchard Crop Response to Irrigation:
- Richard Buchner's Presentation, Irrigating Prunes, What is Known and Unknown
- Allan Fulton's Presentation, Walnut Response to Irrigation Management
- Dr. Ken Shackel's Presentation, Water Relations and Productivity in Almonds
Available Irrigation Scheduling Tools:
- Brendon Flynn's, Pacific Farms Presentation, Site Specific Soil Moisture Monitoring with Irrigation.net
- Hal Crain's, Crain Ranch Presentation, Using the Pressure Chamber and Midday Stem Water Potential
- Using the Weekly Soil Moisture Loss Reports During the Irrigation Season
Irrigation Wells and Irrigation System Maintenance: