Employee comments sought on vaccination program policy
On August 30, 2022, the Policy on Vaccination Programs – With Interim Amendments was issued, with an effective date of September 1, 2022. The University of California Office of the President invites comments on revisions from the interim amendments to finalize this Presidential Policy.
This policy is renamed “Policy on Vaccination Programs” and primarily consolidates the University's existing systemwide vaccination requirements other than the Student Immunization Policy into a single document. Key revisions that are being distributed for systemwide review include the following:
- The COVID-19 Vaccination Program Attachment incorporates language from the July 15, 2021, SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program policy. This is primarily a reorganization and simplification of existing policy language and is not intended to institute substantive changes in policy regarding existing COVID-19 vaccination requirements.
- In alignment with CDC guidance, the deadlines for completion of the primary COVID-19 vaccination series have been extended to allow for a longer interval period between doses.
- Locations are encouraged to evaluate COVID-19 vaccination program participation, but healthcare locations are not required to do so.
- The COVID-19 Vaccination Program corrective action/discipline language for policy-covered academic appointees has been clarified.
- The Seasonal Influenza Vaccination Program Attachment (Program Attachment #2, page 48 of the policy) incorporates language from the president's past flu vaccine executive orders. The Seasonal Influenza Vaccination Program is an opt-out program, which means covered individuals may decline vaccination after receiving vaccine education. The program has an annual compliance date of no later than December 1. Locations may choose an earlier compliance date. The first compliance date for new employees depends on when their first date of employment is in relation to the flu season.
- The language has been updated throughout consistent with current public health usage.
The following groups are Covered Non-Affiliates instead of Covered Individuals: “K-12 students and children enrolled in day-care programs and camps sponsored by the University or operated at a University facility or location; as well as individuals enrolled in UC extension programs, continuing education, lifelong learning, seminars, workshops and other non-degree-granting educational programs.” For clarity, individuals enrolled in professional development and recreational programs are also included in the definition of “Covered Non-Affiliates.” This provides locations with flexibility on local program implementation as locations define the requirements for Covered Non-Affiliates.
If you have any questions or if you wish to comment, please contact Robin Sanchez at firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than December 9, 2022. Please indicate “Vaccination Program Employee Comment” in the subject line.